VisionFlow should be upgraded using an installation program. The installation works both in a graphical and a console environment (see instructions for the installation below). The upgrade software is smart, so it will know what version you are running and upgrade your system accordingly.
According to our license agreement, you must upgrade at least once a year, if you upgrade from an older version (8.0 or earlier) we can not guarantee success, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions and state your current version.
Before you upgrade
Please note the steps below, they are very important to go through before you upgrade...
First, you must upgrade your test environment
first and test the system thoroughly
before upgrading your live environment. If you don't, we can not guarantee that the live system can be restored to an earlier version of the system.
Some suggested test instructions is available here...Also, you can read more about how to set up a test environment here...
of all; take a backup copy
of your current installation, i.e. your Tomcat webapps/ROOT folder, documents folder and database, so you can rollback the system to the old version if needed.Third
, if you haven't done so already, upgrade to latest version of Java 11.X and the latest version of Tomcat 8.5.X
in your test and live environments! Upgrading Tomcat is very important
since new security patches are released by Apache monthly.Fourth
, if you are running MySQL please upgrade to version 8.0
if you have not done so already!Fifth
, if you are running MS SQL server please upgrade to version 2016 or newer
if you have not done so already! It is recommended that you use the newest stable version of the database engine as possible.Sixth
, it is strongly recommended that you are using the Nginx reverse proxy in front of your Apache Tomcat server, if you are using this then you should upgrade to latest stable version of Nginx
if you have not done so already! More information about this is available here...Seventh
, always shut down Tomcat before the upgrade
process starts, so that there are no one using the system during the upgrade.Eighth,
if you haven't done so already, install and activate Elasticsearch
, the new search/indexing module
for the system. The old legacy search is not supported anymore and may stop functioning in the future. Ninth
, as of version 16.9.6 you need to install Centrifugo
if you want to have Push functionality in the new flat interface. Find more information about this new component here
, It is recommended that you disable any active ticket systems (mail fetching) before upgrading, so that in case you have problems with the system after the upgrade the system won't be fetching any emails, giving you time to decide if you want to roll back the upgrade. After you have tested and verified that the system is working as expected you can enable the ticket systems again.Eleventh
, if the upgrade fails
either during upgrade process or when you verify the upgrade, you must roll back the system to the backup copy, using the files above.
This means shutting down Tomcat, replacing the webapps ROOT folder, documents folder and database with those from your backup. You can read more about this here...
If you don't have a copy of the old version of the VisionFlow installer, older versions are available in a folder called " old installers" (see section "To get the installation files" below). If an installation process fails, try the "Upgrade with the console installation
" as you can see on the bottom of this page. If this still doesn't work, then follow the instructions here...
To get the installation files
- Go to our Support Center
- Go to the Documents section, click on Login (top right corner)
- Log in with your Support center username
- Open "Installation files" > "Installer" folder in the documents section
- Download the latest version of the installation/upgrade, for example VisionProject-13.0.43-installer.jar, and start the installation
- If you are unsure about the upgrade, you can follow the upgrade instructions below either via Graphical installation or Console installation
Upgrade with the Graphical installation
NOTE! Make sure that the file VisionProject-x.x-installer.jar is on a local disk and not on a network disk!
Start the installation by double-clicking on VisionProject-x.x-installer.jar and the installation program will start.
1. Select "Upgrade existing installation"
2. Specify where you have VisionFlow installed. Select "Yes" in the message box that will appear.
3. The installation program will fetch the current document path that you have from your current configuration.
Select "Yes" in the message box that will appear. See below.
4. Just click "Next" to upgrade the database. The configuration that you have will point to the right database.
5. The upgrade is finished.
6. Now, open up VisionFlow in your web browser. An "Initial configuration" might be shown, just go through the wizard and you are all set.
Upgrade with the console installation
Start the upgrade by executing this command (make sure that you are using Oracle's JDK or AdoptOpenJDK's OpenJDK and that your are running the command as root/administrator):
sudo java -jar VisionFlow-x.x-installer.jar -console
1. Select 1 for an upgrade
2. Specify where you have the VisionFlow webapp
3. Specify where you have the documents for VisionFlow
4. Select 0 to upgrade the database
Now, open up VisionFlow in your web browser. An "Initial configuration" might be shown, just go through the wizard and you are all set.
After the upgrade
Before you proceed it is important that you make sure that did not get any warnings or errors during the upgrade process above. Also, check the latest installation log files and make sure that there are no "failed" or "error" messages, they are available in the folder: TOMCAT_HOME\webapps\ROOT\WEB-INF\internal_docs\installed_version\ on your server with a matching date/time when you ran the upgrade.
If the upgrade fails either during upgrade process or when you verify the upgrade, you must roll back the system to the backup copy you took before the upgrade started! This means shutting down Tomcat, replacing the webapps ROOT folder, documents folder and database with those from your backup. You can read more about this here...
If you don't have a copy of the old version of the VisionFlow installer, older versions are available in a folder called "old installers" (see section "To get the installation files" below). If an installation process fails, try the "Upgrade with the console installation" as you can see on the bottom of this page. If this still doesn't work, then follow the instructions here...
Finally, test that your upgrade is OK,
- Check system using the VerifyInstallation function to make sure the system still works technically, see here for more information...
- Test some basic tasks such as:
- Log into the system
- Click around in the system to see that projects/workspaces and object views open as they should
- Create some issue/tasks
- Test quick search
- If you are using the email ticket system module then make sure that emails are imported into the system and that you can reply to them
- If you are using the support center module then open the support center to see that it loads correctly and also log in as a support user and look at the different pages
- Check the system log files to make sure that you don't have any strange errors similar to the ones below:
- DataAccessException: Cause exception: com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.MySQLSyntaxErrorException: Unknown column
- DataAccessException: Cause exception: com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlDataTruncation: Data truncation: Data too long for column
- Or other types of long "stack traces" with error logs...
- We also recommend that you test some of the test cases here...